Troubleshooting your Internet and Streaming Services
Internet is Down
1. Reboot Modem: Unplug the power from the back of modem, wait 20 seconds and then plug it back in. The modem will require a couple of minutes to completely reboot.
2. Once the modem is back up and running, reboot your router by pulling the power and then immediately plugging the power back in.
By doing steps 1 & 2 in order, it ensures the devices can communicate with one another correctly and rules out any issues outside of your internet service provider.
NOTE: If you see an indicator light on your modem that signifies trouble, the issue could be related to your internet provider.
If you completed steps 1 & 2 above and you are still experiencing internet connectivity issues, please contact your service provider.
Often with streaming issues, the Internet Service Provider changes the IP address for your home and locates the new IP address in a different city. The streaming devices “think” they have moved, causing delays in streaming.
Below are a list of actions to try prior to Home Connect Solutions making an onsite visit:
1. Verify where your internet “thinks” it is located. To do this, open a browser (Chrome, Safari) on a device connected to your WI-FI and type in https://whatsmyip.com. The site will recognize your device and tell you the city your modem is connected to currently.
2. If the city listed is not YOUR current location, reboot your cable modem, wait for the internet to come back online, and check the whatsmyip.com site again. You may need to reboot your cable modem a couple times before YOUR location is restored.
3. Once restored to the correct city, reboot your streaming devices (Roku, Firestick) to show the correct location. To do this, pull the power to the device and then plug the power back in.
Roku: You will see dancing letters indicating it is booting up.
Amazon Firestick: The Amazon logo will appear on the screen.
4. After your streaming device is back up and running, open YouTube TV and check the channels.
If you see the correct channels, you are finished!
Give Us A Call
If it still shows the incorrect location, follow these steps:
1. In YouTube TV navigate over to your profile icon in the top right corner (by the search function).
2. Go down to location and click.
3. Click current playback area, which will result in a spinning screen waiting for you to verify.
4. From your mobile device (phone or tablet) browser, go to https://tv.youtube.com/verify and walk through the steps listed on your mobile device.
Once you complete the steps, the screen on your TV will stop spinning as it verifies your location.
If you are having difficulty reaching your service provider, or still have questions with your streaming service, please feel free to contact us at 402.204.0904 for assistance.